Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Gulf Arabic (and Hindi?) Pidgin

It should be unsurprising that a pidgin trade-Arabic has evolved in the Gulf, given the incredibly large proportion of the population from non-Arabic-speaking countries. But this is the first info I've seen on it online. Not much actual detail (I would add the word siida "straight ahead"), but it also mentions a pidgin Hindi, which is more surprising. Sounds worth investigating...


Anonymous said...

Good catch, as always :o)
And I see that the luckyfatima's post got a comment from Mikael Parkvall. Any chance of getting your hands on the article he mentioned?

luckyfatima said...

I think seeda is from Farsi??? but may be one of those Farsi from Hindustani.

I am not a pidgin expert, just reflecting on the ole' blog, that's why the post is slim

Anonymous said...

All this arabi hindi stuff is so interesting really!

Someone gotta put together a site to teach some basics of this pidgin language.

I just found out Gulf Arabic but it's not about pdigin, but rather the Arabic that Emaratis speak, as far as I can guess.

luckyfatima said...

oh looked in my Hindi dictionary seedha is pure Hindi, all these years I thought it was seeda, no aspiration, and from Farsi. I've been pronouncing it wrong in Hindi/Urdu all this time, too! but when i saw the aspiration on the "d", (means native Indic origin) i realized i was mistaken---yep, another for the list. most definately used in Khaleeji Arabic.

Rakesh said...

hi guys,
we can start discussing in hindi now that we have It converts hindi in english script to hindi in hindi scriptscript.
Its very easy to write in hindi with this.