- That's the boy who they intercepted John's message to.
- That's the boy who he believed the claim that John tricked.
- That was a lecture that for him to understand was difficult.
- Which book did John wonder why Bill had read?
- Which book did John think that Bill had read?
- What would you approve of John's drinking?
- What would you approve of John's excessive drinking of?
Indeed, the prof was getting (II) and the class was getting (I). I think the trouble was in the fact that the class could kinda see (II), but the prof and the TA were both sure that (I) was impossible and that the class was dead wrong. Then again, it IS in the Philosophy dept and the prof and TA are the sort who'll respond to "Do you want x or y?" with "Yes," so I guess they're not really the ones to ask about this kind of thing... Thanks for the info and for getting this discussion started!
1 hour ago