Friday, May 12, 2006

A new primate and a nice talk

I went to a nice inaugural talk by Prof. Jaggar here at SOAS yesterday about African linguistic diversity, Afroasiatic, and SOAS linguists' resistance, then ultimate capitulation, to Greenberg's groundbreaking African classification - the talk was rendered especially notable by his getting up along with his choir to sing Nkosi sikelele iAfrika afterwards! However, I haven't really got time to summarize it (for the classification part, you could check out my previous post Beja and beyond), so instead I'll post a link to the discovery of a new species of primate: the kipunji, a close relative of the baboon which lives in trees instead of on plains. No news yet on its communication system :)

2 comments:

language said...

Totally off-topic, but I wanted to let you know (in case you didn't already) that you're quoted on p. 300 of Far from the Madding Gerund, at the end of the printed version of this post.

Lameen Souag said...

No, I didn't know - cool!