Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Tasmanian reborn (or not...)

Interesting story on Tasmanian today... The last speaker of a Tasmanian language died in 1905 (Wikipedia), and little material survives, so I'm not entirely confident in the historical reliablity of the newly announced reconstruction, especially since:

"There were thought to be a dozen or more Aboriginal languages in Tasmania and even more dialects. The language program has produced an amalgam of the languages."


Hmm. Do you speak European?

I'm not convinced that that "many within the Aboriginal community could speak palawa kani fluently" either. Still, it's worth a try. An interesting case of conlanging and language revitalization combining.

3 comments:

Suzanne McCarthy said...

Hello Lameen,

Thanks for linking to my blog. I will do likewise next time I try to edit my sidebar. :)

gringo said...

I remember those posts about Cornish on your blog, Language Hat... it was an interesting series of posts: joking about Cornish seemed so irresistible at first. But then the trickle of articles kept coming, and the comments about "well, if the Welsh can do it, so can we!" started to sound a bit less like nostalgia and more like a battle cry.

Who knows if this effort in Tasmania will take off, it will be an interesting to project to follow.

How varied are the languages there? Are the "ingredients" in this creation related languages? (I'm afraid I know well nigh nothing about the languages in that part of the world.)

Lameen Souag الأمين سواق said...

Interesting point - a research project waiting to happen? It hadn't occurred to me that significant elements of the language might have been passed down, but now you mention it, it seems quite plausible...